THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Little Update

I will just update you on what has been going on recently here at the ILC. First I want to thank everyone for their encouraging cards they sent me. They always brighten my day! I have the BEST core team ever! Last Friday was shot day and I received 3 shots and will go back this Friday for more. They weren't that bad, except for one that felt like she was shooting me with warm jelly.

Each week we have been experiencing different international foods. We have had Indonesian and Middle eastern food so far. It was awesome! We had to eat with our hands, something my mom never let me do. The Indonesian food was weird but turned out to be good. We had a bowl of rice with some strange looking meat in it, then .....you add the sides. Wait for it.... spicy jelly, coconut, raisins, and sunflower seeds. It looked gross but it was really good if you like sweet and spicy.

Learning Spanish in America is no easy task. I have been memorizing the creation story in English and in Spanish. This is tough because my Spanish is really bad! Last week I went with a group to evangelize in the mall and I got to share with some Hispanics. There were two Hispanic janitors cleaning out the trash cans, so I just walked up to them and asked them where they were from. Well, it turns out they don't know ANY English, so I just kept on talking. I tried to use as much of the little Spanish I know. This required a lot of acting out an hand motions. Pretty soon, I had what seemed like all the janitors in the mall all crowded around me just listening. I think they understood, although they were laughing a lot and saying some things back and forth in Spanish. I think they were saying, "What is this crazy girl talking about?" I don't know but let's keep listening, she is entertaining. I guess if anything They saw my care for them, Christ's love for them and they got a good show. It breaks my heart that for so many years of going to the mall I have looked over them and not payed any attention to them. They are the mission field. Some of the most humble and sweet people you will ever meet.

After sharing with everyone at the ILC about Akot, many people have come up to me to tell me they went to Wal-mart and ran into Akot. They told him they were my friend and that they were praying for him. I saw Akot yesterday in Wal-mart and he was grinning ear to ear. He said, "AMY! Hello, how are you? Amy, you have many many friends!" I don't think he realized when I told him I would tell my friends who are missionaries to pray for him, how many of us there were. We laughed as I explained why there were so many people that knew about him and were praying for him. He is doing well. I ask that you continue to pray for him and the other men from Sudan that work in Wal-mart. Pray that God gives me equal opportunities to share with them. Wouldn't it be awesome if a mighty move of God started in Wal-mart because of the prayers of many believers! We are now emailing each other and I hope to be able to encourage and challenge him in his faith while I am here. Love you so much! Your sister in Christ

4 comments:

The OSTREM Times said...

Amy! Ok, so I am totally laughing right now at the thought of you in the mall! :) You are crazy, but I love you my one-of-a-kind amazing friend! Stay encouraged! Spanish will come...just stick with it. Soon you will be dreaming in spanish, thats how natural it will become. I am praying for you and I love you! Take heart, He has BIG plans for you!

thatonecutegirl said...

You are the most amazingly ridiculous person I know & I am SO SO blessed by you. What a one of a kind God made when he made you!

I am so encouraged & blessed by you & your updates :)

*hugs*

Emily

Aunt Tina said...

My Precious little girl, I am so totally blessed by your heart! It sounds so exciting to hear about your experiences. It sounds like God's presence is so alive and real, I get goose bumps just reading about them. I love you so much and I am so very proud of you, I rest in the fact that you are in the center of Gods Will, and that He is in total control of everything, no matter if it is here or in Peru! My prayer is that God will keep you in his arms and bless you beyond belief, and that those precious people will learn about His precious Son, Jesus. Josh has gotten rid of the big couch in his room and that ugly coffee table. He bought 2 video recliners and a corner table for his tv and his room really looks good now. Grand dad and Uncle Joe have built a wall to seperate Josh's room from the bathroom, and now they have 2 full bathrooms. They also put a door in the wall so Josh still has an entrance to the bathroom and the house. Well Sweetheart I Love you and will talk again soon, Love Aunt Tina

Dima said...

Amy,
My precious sister! I love you more than you know. Your stories of adventure and passion are encouraging to me. I miss your face and laughter but there is no where on this earth I would rather you be than doing what God has enpassioned you to do. You are being obedient to His call when so many people turn a deaf ear to His voice. Thank you for being an example to other brothers and sisters in Christ that the life of obedience may be difficult but is so much more rich and rewarding than "my way." I love you and Dima and I pray for you constantly.
-Wholeheartedly His,
Holly
p.s.- the nurse inside of me cringes when I hear of you surfing down an active volcano. Please, please don't do anything that crazy again......haha.