THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

I'm Liv'n in an Orphanage!

Wow, it's been an incredible adventure and we've only just arrived. Things are great with my family in San Juan. Our school for the orphans started last week. Everyday I wake up at 6am as the orphans begin trickling in our front door. I leave at 8am for school, which is ony a couple streets down from my house, and I arrive back home around 12. The moment I open my door I have 26 kids run and greet me with hugs and kisses. This starts the long routine of trying to pry them from as I walk with two on each leg and one in each arm. It truly is a site to see. It's not often you find a routine your used to here but, this one is mine. These kids live in poverty stricken areas with either a relative, or one parent. We feed, teach, and play with the kids until they are picked up at 6pm. I can't tell you how much I enjoy my family and having a orphanage right in my house.

It's so funny because the kids just cannot understand that I don't speak spanish. They can't comprehend why I can't understand them or talk clearly back to them. They treat me like I am a kid in an adults body. It reminds me of that movie, I am Sam or Jack. They all hold my hand and take me everywhere. They fight to care of me. It truly is one of the sweetest and funniest things I have ever experienced!

Yesterday, I finished washing the kid's dishes and I saw some little girls playing with some popcylce sticks so I started to play with them and pretend to give them makeovers with the sticks. They loved it! They were all crowding around to get thier hair brushed, makeup put on, and nails done, all with a popcycle stick. Then they sat me down and decided to give me one. For the next twenty minutes I had 20 little hands all my face. They were brushing my hair, painting my nails, fighting for my face, and one little girl who kept poking me in the eye with the popcycle stick. She didn't exactly understand how to use the stick. As if there is a certain way.

Lastly, they told me to open my mouth so they could brush my teeth. Oh yeah, I know what you're thinking, me too. But, I reluctantly opened wide not knowing where the sticks had been or what kind of germs where on them. Thankfully, that process wasn't that painful. By the end I had a face full of splinters, hair that looked like I stuck my finger in a socket, and the best part, I turned around and saw a little nino "boy" shoving all the sticks in his underwear! Needless to say, I quickly ran grabbed my tooth brush and began one of the longest teeth cleanings of my life.

Well, that is just a brief summary of what life is like in my house. Thank you for all of your prayers. You can't imagine how much I rely on them. I could not be here if it weren't for everyone of you. Please never underestimate the power of each prayer. God is really giving us incredible opportunities to share the gospel. Pray for our teachers, families, friends we have made in the city, and just our love for one another. Please check soon for my next Blog about my experience at the active volcano. CRAZY! Oh, and please pray for us this weekend. This Saturday we are going to rent motorcycles for a day and travel around Guatemala. I have never driven a motorcycle so I am a little nervous, but someone told me it's just like riding a bike just a little fast so I think I got it. Just pray! WEll I love you so much, and Juli Dees it was so good to hear from you!

3 comments:

The OSTREM Times said...

Just like bikes.....um, I have been on a bike with you!! Need I say more? Be careful!

Amy,

I LOVE picturing you having your makeover :) I know that those kids love you! And don't worry about the language issue, because by having one, you are developing a stronger relationship with them. And I am sure it is good for you to laugh!!

Brandy

Aunt Tina said...

Amy aren't they sweet, those little kids everywhere! It sounds like my mission trip to Nicarauga to an orphanage that Siloam was supporting. It was unbelievable how much love they have for us. Your make over sounds wonderful! Love you Aunt Tina

Unknown said...

Hey Amy I love and I am thinking and praying for you. I miss you and I know that you are praying for me and Jimmy. I wish I could see you and minister beside you,but God definately has me ministering here by His grace. Please pray for these exciting times I am goint to do a passionate prayer partners and God has already laid on my heart on of the lessons I am going to teach on FEAR, the fear of death, fear of evil and other common fears that I have had and how I am learing to overcome them. Amy I love you and your amazing. Bye Love your other egg Heather